What’s New at the Rock Creek Farm Market Saturday May 21, 2011
This week we have been busy in the kitchen making 8 Bean Salad, Red Onion Jelly and Cherry Marmalade.
8 Bean Salad
- The 8 Bean Salad is our traditional recipe, except instead of using cans of Kidney beans and chick peas, we used a 6 bean mix from Safeway.
- The Peppers and celery are from California, but the onions are local as are the beans – frozen last summer!
Red Onion Jelly
- We have been having problems getting this to set. So far its been cooked 3 times and has had an extra package of pectin added to it.
- I’m not sure why as all the proportions were the same as we used last summer. However, I did notice when we were cooking it then, how it set depended on the onions. Perhaps the onion I bought in Safeway was too old…..
- Cherries are from the freezer. We always try to get some fruits and vegetables frozen the day we get them. There is nothing that makes things taste great like fresh or fresh frozen.
- The Oranges are from Florida.
- Usually when I make marmalade, it is a little runny, but this is perfect! Perhaps I should always start with frozen cherries in the food processor.