Beary Good Pickled Asparagus
About 5-6 pints
I am not sure where I got this recipe from, but I do believe it was a very old Ball Canning book. It is fool proof and makes wonderful pickled Asparagus, just right for stirring a Bloody Mary or a Ceaser with!
I have made this without salt too and it has a really different (but really wonderful) flavor. No matter which way I make it, it sells out at the Farm Market.
- 10 pounds fresh asparagus
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 6 small hot peppers or 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a big pot, combine:
- 3 teaspoons dill seed
- ½ cup salt
- 4½ cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 4½ cups water
- Cut the asparagus spears so they fit into the jars (leaving room for ½” headspace).
- Bring Pickling Solution to a boil.
- Place one hot pepper or (¼ tsp hot pepper flakes) and garlic clove in each jar over asparagus spears.
- Use a ladle or pyrex measuring cup to carefully fill each packed jar with the hot vinegar solution, again allowing ½” headspace. The asparagus should be covered and there should still be ½” of airspace left in the top of each jar.
- Wipe rims. Put on hot lids and screw down rings and process in a boiling canner for 10 minutes