Beary Good Hot Dilly Beans
about 6 pints
- 1 quart 5% vinegar (4 cups)
- 6 c. water
- ¾ cup pickling salt
- 1-2 heads of dill per quart
- 1 clove garlic (per jar)
- 1 hot red pepper (per jar)
- Prepare your jars and lids for canning.
- Bring vinegar, water and salt to a boil.
- Wash beans in running cold water. Discard any with bruises. Trim ends.
- In the bottom of each jar, place some dill. Pack with beans.
- To each jar, which has been well-packed with beans, add 1 clove garlic and 1 red pepper.
- Pour boiling hot vinegar solution over cucumbers in jars. Seal.
- Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes.
Beary Good Pickled Asparagus
About 5-6 pints
- 10 pounds fresh asparagus
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 6 small hot peppers or 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a big pot, combine:
- 3 teaspoons dill seed
- ½ cup salt
- 4½ cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 4½ cups water
- Cut the asparagus spears so they fit into the jars (leaving room for ½” headspace).
- Bring Pickling Solution to a boil.
- Place one hot pepper or (¼ tsp hot pepper flakes) and garlic clove in each jar over asparagus spears.
- Use a ladle or pyrex measuring cup to carefully fill each packed jar with the hot vinegar solution, again allowing ½” headspace. The asparagus should be covered and there should still be ½” of airspace left in the top of each jar.
- Wipe rims. Put on hot lids and screw down rings and process in a boiling canner for 10 minutes